Monday, June 4, 2012

Down by the shore....

15 more days of school!  That's it.

I'm super excited there are only a few days of school left. I can't wait to be on vacation. But since I do have to come to school the next 15 days, I figured....let's make up some super fun summer activities!

The first activity I created goes hand in hand with our school's Sand & Surf theme. It also covers a key concept in firsts grade, r controlled vowels (specifically o).

I created a poem and then illustrated it. I laminated the pages and bound them into a book which I read aloud as a introduction. The kids loved it. When I read it the second time, they used their recording sheets to write all the /or/ words they heard. Afterwards, they played the Shore Sort Game. There are 2 versions included in the packet. We played the "fishing" game since I found an adorable fishing pole at Dollar Tree. I just had to use it!



Finally, the kids selected one of 2 writing prompts when they visited the writing center. They especially loved illustrating and sharing their adventures with the class. For homework, each student will take turns bringing the storybook home and sharing it with their families via the "Take Home Bag." I've also thrown a stuffed shark, sand pail, and shovel (Dollar Tree) in the bag to give them something fun to play with as they read.

Head on over to my TPT store to pick up a copy of this cute unit!


If you download the unit, please leave a comment and don't forget to add feedback so you earn TPT credits!


No comments: