Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Working hard, Captain My Captain and New Teacher Tuesday

Sorry for the lack of posts this week. Since I've been back from vacation I've been hard at work doing the curriculum mapping for our grade and trying to have a life at the same time...no small feat!
I do have 2 projects I'm just about finished with and will be posting soon so keep an eye out for those.

I do however have something I'd like to share today. In our classroom, it is so hard to keep up with jobs everyday since we have a million things going on in the school. So a few years ago I developed a system to get rid of the classroom job chart and simplify it down to 1. Yup that's right, 1!

Each day I assign one student to be the "Busy Bee" for the day. That student is responsible for all the jobs in the classroom that day. To keep track, I keep it simple as well...Alphabetical order! That's it. One at a time, no fighting, and everything gets done. Plus the kids love it because they get to do each job multiple times during the course of the year, not just one or two times. To make it even more special, I give the "Busy Bee" a special vest to wear all day.


Here's a pic of a student wearing the "Busy Bee" vest. The kids get really excited to wear it. (No, they don't always wear the hat...that's from another project!).

Finally, I'm super excited to be apart of Dana Lester from Fun in First Grade's New Teacher Tuesday. Make sure you head over to her page and give her some love!!






3 comments:

Michelle Hudgeons said...

Oh my Larry! I am adoring the busy bee vest! What did you use to make it?!?
Michelle @ Smitten With First

Rachel Seymour said...

That vest is cute! I've always chosen one boy and one girl to be the helper each day and I go in alphabetical order too.

Last year I had too many things for them to do, so this year I'm going to try jobs for the first time.

If that doesn't work, I will definitely simplify! :)

Rachel
A-B-Seymour

Kate said...

Thanks for all your comments everyone! I actually bought the vest at Jo-ann's Fabric. It was like 2.99 and then I had a 40% off coupon I was able to use. I have a few of them actually. It helps in case one rips of gets dirty to have a backup.