Monday, September 3, 2012

New Table and Easy Polka Dot Craft

A few weeks ago, I posted about a surprise project I was working on.  To check it out click HERE.

Well, now it's time for the big reveal...I transformed an accent table!

First, I sanded and spray painted a table. This table was a spare accent table that had been in my grandma's house and some how landed in our garage.


After allowing the paint to dry, I then took a plastic laundry basket and cut the bottom off. You can use any basket you have. I found mine at the Dollar Tree. Using the bottom as a palette, I poured some paint in different sections. This was a really easy and relatively clean method.  I used small sponge brushes, one for each color. Again, I got these at Dollar Tree..they were 8 for $1!!!




With the top half of the laundry basket, I cut it until I had small squares of circles. I know that sounds a bit strange...I think the picture will help you get the idea. I had one square per color.

Then, using my dots and paint, I randomly sponge painted the circles onto the table. If you do this yourself, I recommend sticking to the one square of dots per color. Also, make sure you wipe the squares after every few dips in the paint...otherwise it gets smudgy on the table.




Finally, spray the entire table with a sealer. This will give it a nice glossy shine and will prevent from chipping. This table is slated for outside my door as a way to welcome the students, families, and guests into our room. I'll point it out when I post my classroom tour in a few days.


Now, onto a super easy craft that you can do with the extra paint you have lying around.
Since I changed my theme this year to polka dots, I had to change pretty much everything I had in my room. This even included my picture frame that was on my desk. Last year it had bumble bees.

I started out by taking some paints that match my color scheme and a stylus (I actually use the bottom of it. You can use any stick that has a rounded bottom). You can see what I used on the bottom right of the photo.

 Next, I took my frame and made small quick dots in a random pattern. I did one color at a time and was certain to wipe off the end of the stick between each color.
 Here's my final product! Now, I just need to find a good picture to pop in because obviously that's not me or my bf...hehehe.
I hope you enjoyed these two projects. I'll have my Bin Makeover coming in the next day or two so stick around for that as well.  Hope everyone has a great week!


No comments: