Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Power Tower

This idea came from teacher tipster, my educational crush. Ahhh Mr Smith, I do adore you and your creative approach!

The kids in my class need extra help with sight words in order to advance to the next level in reading. Enter Power Towers. First I ate a can of Pringles, not in one day. Then I added a cute label I found on Pinterest. Then I wrote the tricky sight words on the bottoms of Dixie cups.



The kids passed the cups around. If they read it, they kept it. If not, it went to the bottom. Once they have about 4, they start building their towers. The one with the tallest tower wins.




They love making the towers and I love that they are reading an practicing the sight words. It's a win win! We also have a version with number sentences for math. Works wonders!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't you just love teacher tipster. He would be so fun to teach with.
Kristy
Teachingtimes2